has mediated the following professional negligence claims:
• Claim against solicitors for failure to identify the route of drains during a residential conveyance.
• Claim against a pensions adviser following transfer of pension fund to a SIPP and onward investment into an “exotic” agro-energy scheme in Cambodia.
• Claim against surveyors for under-valuation of a flagship office building in Leeds.
• A claim against solicitors for failure to assert an unfair prejudice petition and to obtain adequate security against the majority shareholders who were acquiring their client’s minority shareholding.
• Claims by beneficiaries against deceased’s IFA and solicitors
for failure to provide relevant financial information and failure to analyse the information in the production of the deceased’s will.
• Claim against uninsured valuers of two investment properties following failure to identify issues with common parts.
• Claim against solicitors for mishandling of a claim for non-completion of a conveyancing transaction and subsequent application of proceeds against own invoices and claims for overcharging of fees.
• Claim by bank against surveyors for under-valuation of 25-acre 280-unit development site in Scotland.
• Claim by bank against surveyors in respect of under-valuation of a commercial property to be used as an enterprise college, including the issue of the appropriateness of development costs
as a basis for valuation.
• Claim against solicitors for failure to register restrictions protecting overage covenants involving technical issues as to whether such restrictions against disposition amounted to restrictive covenants.
• Claim against solicitors and barrister for negligence in respect of their advice to compromise an earlier claim just before trial.
• Claim by bank against surveyor and solicitors for failure to identify planning and contractual issues allegedly impacting value and suitability of security over a 124-unit development site.
• Claims against valuers in respect of inadequate access and mistake as to number of bedrooms in valuing mortgage security, with attendant issues of contributory negligence regarding lending policy and failure to mitigate in enforcing the security.
• Solicitors' negligence claims in respect of alleged failures
to perfect securities in favour of a private bank.
• Claim against bank's wealth management team for failing to effect life insurance prior to death of one of two joint borrowers.
• Claim against financial advisers for £750,000 in relation
to the purchase of an investment bond, involving issues of risk profiling, commissions, third party adviser liability and quantum.
• Solicitors' negligence claim arising out of mortgage security shortfalls following fraudulent mortgage transactions involving sham firms.
• Claims by lender against surveyors in respect of valuations
of two properties, including issues of comparables, acceptable margins of valuation, contributory negligence in the lending
• Claim against surveyors for failing to identify in survey report that one of two bedrooms of an off-plan apartment once built had a greater than anticipated open-plan aspect, resulting in difficulty in letting as a two-bedroom property.
• Claim by local authority pension fund against building surveyors and against M&E surveyors following acquisition of commercial office property with air-conditioning system which breached EC environmental regulations.
• Claim against solicitors for allowing limitation period
to lapse in respect of a claim for clinical negligence following serious brain injury.
• Tranche of 30 claims against a group of surveyors, managed
by the run-off vehicle of a group of financial institutions.
against finance director for negligent accounting advice.
by lender against solicitors for negligent mistake
against architect for negligence in design of civic
by bank against solicitors for negligent drafting
banking agreement on corporate transaction.
scheme between bank and insurer involving the mediation
of tranches of lender claims against solicitors.
against barrister and solicitors for conduct
against accountants for valuation of target business.
of claims against valuers by lender in respect
group of lender valuation claims.
claim against surveyor relating to subsidence issues.
claim against surveyor and subsequent valuer
to allegedly overlooked structural defects.
Stuart has experience as a litigator
of claims involving allegationsof negligence and regulatory
breaches against solicitors, auditors, tax advisers,
surveyors and IT professionals, including the following
against accountant for negligent tax advice leading
to unclaimed CGT allowances.
major national surveyors’ practice in disciplinary
proceedings brought by the RICS following breaches of
regulations relating to administrative control and accounting.
against auditors by listed company following discovery
of major “hole” in the balance sheet of
against solicitors for loss of chance following failure
to pursue certain claims diligently and protect clients
from impact of Legal Aid charge.
by Lloyd’s Name against underwriters for negligent
against auditors by Co-operative Society following discovery
of fraud in motor-trading division.
against IT services company following allegedly negligent
design and implementation of mobile telecoms portal
incorporated solicitors’ practice on investigation
by Solicitors Regulatory Authority into various regulatory
against auditors relating to the collapse of listed
against software supplier and consultants for negligent
under-sizing of computer hardware required for system.
against former accountant for non-production of financial