has mediated the following international disputes:
• Dispute between Belgian growers and UK distributor of potato crops as to quality and grading of product.
• Claims between Russian and Chinese interests in the ownership and operation of digital advertising sites on UK motorways.
• Claim under UNCITRAL arbitration between Chinese manufacturer and Brazilian distributor of construction machinery in respect of sales commissions.
• Mediation of jurisdiction, insurance, costs and local ADR-process issues in respect of claims in New Zealand, South Africa, the Netherlands, France, India, Isle of Man, Spain, Belgium, Botswana, Poland, the Seychelles, Zambia and Mauritius following worldwide product recall of certain orthopaedic medical devices.
• Dispute (mediated in Istanbul) between Iranian purchasers of a Russian cargo of oil and two parties, Turkish and Turkmeni, in the supply chain between the supplier and purchaser, involving lawyers from Geneva, Tehran, Dubai, Istanbul and Moscow.
• Claim by Swiss medical devices manufacturer against supplier of precision alloy castings under contract, regarding tolerances in materials, involving international regulatory issues and issues of Swiss law and product liability.
• Dispute between a UK bank and a US technology company arising out of termination of a contract to provide security technology services to a worldwide card payment system.
• Dispute between Chinese introducers and UK drinks distributor regarding commissions flowing from a distribution agreement with a Chinese state brewery.
• Dispute between family shareholders regarding ownership of various properties in Bangladesh.
• Mediation conducted via Skype between parties in Wales and New Zealand regarding a sensitive and high-profile government environmental contract.
• Mediation in Jersey of an insurance claim in respect of a substantial residential property destroyed by fire.
• Dispute in respect of a contract to evaluate the effectiveness of international aid in India.
• Claims for property damage and business interruption by commercial end-user against dealer, distributor and Italian manufacturer of trucks following series of engine fires and worldwide product recall notices.
• Dispute in respect of a final account in relation to a residential building contract in Tuscany.
• Dispute between German insurer and UK insured for business interruption and property damage following suspicious fire.
professional negligence claims between UK bank and Irish
agency dispute between US supplier and UK agent of plumbing
and bathroom products.
supply contract between Italian manufacturer and UK
distributor, including jurisdictional issues.
between members of the Iranian community in relation
to various business interests and the terms of settlement
of prior disputes.
Stuart has experience of litigating
and advising on disputes involving international and
non-UK-based companies and institutions, as well as
jurisdictional disputes. Examples include:
• Proceedings at
the request of the Spanish court against UK medical
devices company to produce evidence.
between grower and competing purchasers over contract
price of beans grown in Ivory Coast.
arbitration in Paris and The Hague between defence systems
supplier and Iranian Government over arms contract.
of English legal opinion on material breach and repudiation
in proceedings in Munich by German bank against UK software
against UK revenue-collection company on termination
of collection agreement with US encyclopaedia supplier.
between multi-national chemical distributor and US manufacturer
over European termination rights.
against Serbian copper-supplier in dispute over pricing
agreement following volatility in market prices.
• Forfeiture proceedings by French oil company in respect
of petrol stations owned by UK distributor in dispute.
arbitration in respect of SPA warranty claim between
UK printing group and listed company following acquisition
of European division of printing businesses.
between UK listed multi-national supplier and German
listed multi-national telecoms company following termination
of a major mobile telecoms portal project.
by UK engineering toolmaker against US supplier arising
from functionality issues with CAD-CAM software.
dispute between set-top box manufacturers and patent
owners in respect of MPEG technology.
by NHS Trust for delay and defective software against
US-owned supplier of hospital management software.
between multi-national chemical distributor and Dutch
ERP supplier following delayed implementation and functionality
brought by Spanish distributor in respect of defective
products against designer and manufacturer of vehicle-tracking
devices and related systems.
dispute between set-top box manufacturer and Dutch distributor
over product quality issues and contract terms.
in the UK under Cayman Island tracing proceedings against
• Claims under guarantees by former Spanish subsidiary
against UK listed parent company.
under guarantees by third party Spanish finance company
and Spanish bank against UK listed parent company.
Dutch company on validity and enforceability of claims
against Dutch guarantor under Korean loan notes and
English law guarantee.
by German company under UK guaranteed futures.
against Jersey trustee company in guaranteed claims
on potential claims against sub-prime lender on sale
of European loan book.
by US companies under guarantees against individual
between UK bank and joint venture counter-party arising
from property development in Portugal.
to set aside statutory demand by creditor against Spanish
between sub-ocean pipeline engineering company and Asian
customer arising out of specification and performance
of pipeline “pigs”.
by Dutch customer against US-owned manufacturer of plastic
bearings in respect of performance and specification
of bearings used in manufacturing process.
between engineering contractor and Iranian customer
over contract terms and the specification and performance
of drilling equipment.
between multi-national supplier and French customer
over specification and performance of electrical components.
by distributor against Italian manufacturer over specification
and performance of furniture.
proceedings between multi-national engineering group
and Greek company over specification and performance
of liquid gas equipment to project in the middle-east.
by Finnish manufacturer and supplier of pressure vessels
against sub-contractor over specification and performance
of high pressure system.
between Dutch supplier and main contractor over specification
and performance of filtration membranes.
against distributor by Indian manufacturer of chemical
products over product specification.
brought by Spanish distributor against designer and
manufacturer of vehicle-tracking devices and related
between UK textile manufacturer and Turkish supplier
of yarn over specification and technical performance
proceedings between Swiss reinsurance company and Indonesian
counterparty over terms of retrocession treaty.